A Brief History
The South Carolina Baptist Brotherhood was founded in 1945. Bro. C. Lee Davis of Anderson, SC was the first President. Since Brother Davis there have been ten Presidents and each has contributed to the growth and the enrichment of the organization. When it was first organized, the organization was known as the Baptist Laymen. In 1978 under the leadership of President W.E. Givens Jr. the name was changed to South Carolina Baptist Brotherhood to include all men of the church. The Junior Brotherhood was also instituted during the tenure of President Givens. The Brotherhood continues to grow by the Grace of God and under the directions of the Holy Spirit.
What is Brotherhood?
One Brother helping another Brother have a closer walk with Christ.
The Purpose of the Brotherhood
- To have better informed men in the church and its auxiliaries.
- To cultivate the Christian life of the Laymen through study, worship, fellowship and service.
- To train boys to grow up and be responsible Christian men.
- To inspire men of the church to support the total program of their church, their association, it's auxiliaries, and their State and National Conventions.
- To evangelize surroundings Communities and abroad by encouraging boys and men to know Jesus and teaching them who He really is.
- To support education through Morris College and Benedict College and by encouraging young men to further their education beyond high school.